Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A post about taxi-drivers

I was on a taxi one day (wishing the uncle would keep quiet and let me rest ) and i had this idea of blogging about the interesting taxi-drivers i've encountered in my life..
sample size = n and n is probably larger than a lot of people, cos i'm lazy, i don't like to squeeze in public transport during peak hours, and i save money to cab. heh.
Taxi-drivers are probably one of the most interesting people in my life! (eh. oh no i'm making it sound as though everyone around me is boring...but NO! they're really interesting..)

Let me think of a few examples..

1. " you see ah girl...in front got accident..help me see license plate number! sure dio 4D ah!"

I remember this taking this cab with a female driver. we passed by an accident scene and the auntie actually stopped to look at the carplate of the motorcycle.
The conversation turned towards the gruesome details of the many accidents she'd witnessed before. Think a conversation about blood flowing all over the road, flung bodies and trapped bodies under cars..... thank goodness the journey was short. But i was seriously grossed out..

2. the cynic

Then there was this uncle who was extremely cynical about everything. in the journey he practically cursed everything from the government to the chinese-speaking, english-speaking, tourists, to the armed forces, university students and just everything.
i felt like i was in some opposition party rally...

3. the smart

i learnt a lot about taking taxis from an uncle who taught me module TAXI 1101E.
He told me where to wait for taxis, which roads to choose, how to make the journey cheaper...
also began a lecture on his experiences with customers..
eg: don't drive women from PRC cos many don't pay...
eg: drive angmohs cos they give a lot of tips... ( actually he began badmouthing "stingy" singaporeans who didn't give tips... :S )
aiya..he just talked alot i felt like sleeping.. all i could do was nod my head...

4. the boastful

this taxi-uncle i met the other day was super funny.. he was bragging about how nice he was throughout the 15 minute journey.. i can't believe it...
" i'm a very nice person you know... god don't bless me bless who?" *chuckles*
"...even my daughter and wife ask me not to be so nice...." haha.
he listed me so many examples which i don't remember... probably only vague memories of him donating money to beggars or something..
but he really made my day. i was pretty tickled!

5. the psycho

of course, many uncles are pretty psycho...
i remembered this case when i took a cab and alighted at the market near my house because i wanted to get something. When we reached, the uncle suddenly chuckled very loudly and for damn long, refusing to take my money in the meantime. He turned around and told me
" hahaha! i know where you live already.. you live there is it *points in some direction* ..you don't alight there cos you scared i know where you live right?" and he went on chuckling until i was pretty freaked out..

some uncles ask me to marry their sons...
some ask me to marry them... :S

6. the smart alec

i remembered one uncle almost made me so exasperated.. i told him my address and he drove me to somewhere else in the neighbourhood 'cos he claimed he's seen me before and i live "there" ... -_-

7. the good husbands

of course...there's some that go on endlessly on how they fell in love with their wives..had children and alll that... a few get so enthusiastic about this topic they show me photo albums...
i remember an uncle telling me all his pain about inter-ethnic marriages. he asked what race my boyfriend was and asked me to break it off early if he was not Chinese because its difficult to sustain such a relationship.

8. the patriot

haha..lala must like this uncle.. THE PATRIOT! vague memories of this Indian taxi-driver whom spent the journey telling me to work hard and defeat foreign talent or something cos singaporeans are smart. haha! :P rest of the conversation was on how proud he was to be Singaporean lah.. felt like i was in some national education propaganda class...


=D there're really alot more but i'm brain-dead now!
but i stil must say i love nice-taxi-drivers which charge me lesser, forgo the cents and are just plain smiley and friendly.
taxi-drivers are my goodfriends! (minus the fierce,rude and scary ones please..)

No comments: